Transfer Students

An applicant for admission to SD Mines is considered a transfer applicant if he or she has enrolled for any college-level work, full or part-time, since graduation from high school or completion of GED.

 Transfer Student Admission Requirements

  • Transfer students with 24 or more transferable semester credits are eligible candidates for admission if they meet the following standards:
    1. Have a cumulative college grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
    2. Are College Algebra-ready as demonstrated by placement scores (or have already completed Intermediate Algebra or a  higher-level math course as demonstrated on college transcript).
    3. Are in good standing with their most recently attended school.

  • Applicants with cumulative transfer GPAs between 2.00 and 2.75 on all college work (24 or more total college credits) will be considered on an individual basis.
  • Transfer students under the age of 24 who have earned fewer than 24 semester credits must also meet the freshman admission requirements.

Transfer Student Application Process

  1. APPLY ONLINE to SD Mines for admission
  2. Pay the $20 application fee
    applications are not processed until this fee is received.
  3. Submit official High School transcript or GED scores
    these must be sent directly from the issuing institution to SD Mines to be considered official.  Approved sending methods are mail, email (to, or Parchment/Docufied.  
  4. Submit official ACT or SAT score results
    required for transfer applicants under the age of 21.
  5. Provide proof of college algebra readiness
    as determined by college transfer courses
    -OR- ACT/SAT math placement scores
    -OR- by ACCUPLACER assessment scores.
  6.  Submit official college/university transcripts —  

    official transcripts from all institutions previously attended or attending now, including online and military courses, must be sent to SD Mines.  Approved sending methods include: mail, email (to and Parchment/Docufied.

    SD Mines Mailing Address:
    Admissions Office 
    501 E St. Joseph St
    Rapid City, SD 57701

    Transfer Credit Evaluation

    Admitted transfer students will receive a detailed transfer evaluation documenting how their transferred course will apply to their SD Mines program of study.

    In general, SD Mines follows these guidelines to evaluate transferred courses:
    Transfer Credit Equivalency Database

    Quarter credit hours are converted to semester credit hours.  One semester hour equals 1.5 quarter hours.

    Interstate Passport Program

    SD Mines along with the other universities within the SD BOR University system, participate in the WICHE Interstate Passport program. This program facilitates block transfer of students’ earned lower-division general education courses based on learning outcomes via WICHE’s network of regionally accredited nonprofit member institutions. For information regarding this program within the SD BOR system please click here.