Visit the Museum of Geology
Open to the Public - Fun and Free!
Geology is a fascinating and broad science that incorporates many other sciences! At the Museum of Geology, you'll find many compelling exhibits focusing on:
- PALEONTOLOGY - the study of ancient life, and
- MINERALOGY - the study of minerals, including gems, crystals, and the rocks they form
Come and see
- Fascinating mounted skeletons of dinosaurs, mammals, marine reptiles, and fish
- Rare fossils from the White River Badlands, arranged in time-specific dioramas
- Mineral displays including the Hall of South Dakota Minerals, meteorites, and a fluorescent mineral room that's sure to captivate
- Engaging displays
- The Kids' Zone offers hands on experiences for our young visitors
- Museum gift shop with toys, books, models, and more -- many unique items!
Tours and Events
- The Museum is a popular stop for tourists as well as a favorite of residents of the community
- Guided tours are available for groups. Please call ahead to schedule at (605) 394-2467
- Popular events for children include the annual "Night At The Museum" (fall) and "Dinosaur Extravaganza" (spring)
- Paleo trips for families or individuals are available in the summer. Experience what it's like to be a geologist!
Admission is FREE! Donations are always appreciated.
Congratulations . . .
to Dr. Sally Shelton, Associate Director of the Museum of Geology, who has been named the 2014 recipient of the national Dudley Wilkenson Award of Distinction from the American Alliance of Museums.