Foundation Contribution Pledge Form - PRINT PDF | Contribute Online
SDSM&T Wellness and Recreation Center
Background: SDSM&T students voted to fund a Wellness and Recreation Center expansion project by increasing their general activity fee by $10 per credit hour to generate a $6.7 million bond. We are extremely impressed with our students’ initiative to begin this grassroots effort. Student Association President, Spencer Ferguson, stated, “An upward trend in student population as well as an increase in student activity, caused by a stronger emphasis from society on personal fitness, has made clear the need for a larger recreation facility”. This attitude serves as a testament to the pride that our students share and their interest in the importance of healthy living and in supporting the university’s strategic priority to increase our enrollment to 3,500 students by 2020.
- Expand the wellness area (cardio and group exercise) in the King Center from about 4,000 square feet to 10,000 square feet
- Build a recreation annex (two basketball court area) to the King Center
- varsity basketball and varsity volleyball practices
- intramural sports
- Total project cost: $8.9 million
An additional $2.2 million will be needed to supplement the $6.7 million bond.
- Honor former President Harvey Fraser, 1966-75 (also Dean of Engineering (1965-66)
- Contact School of Mines’ graduates from 1966 through 1978
- Contact Rapid City community people who were associates of Harvey Fraser when he and his family lived in Rapid City from 1965 to 1975
- Project coordinator: Larry Simonson (EE 69) Larry.Simonson@sdsmt.edu (605) 484-4147 [cell]
- Spring 2012 - SDSM&T students voted to support the Wellness and Recreation Center project
- April 4, 2013 - Board of Regents approved the Wellness and Recreation Center project
- March 2014 (tentative) - Construction is scheduled to begin
- Summer 2015 (tentative) - Construction is expected to be completed
- Retired General Fraser is 96½ years old and currently lives in Louisville, CO.
- Harvey’s grandson, Erik Yeash, played football for the Hardrockers and graduated in May 2012.
Larry Simonson (EE 69)
Cell: (605) 484-4147
SDSM&T Foundation • Wellness Center Project
306 E Saint Joseph St - Suite #200 • Rapid City, South Dakota 57701