Residence Life Handbook

This handbook has been developed to provide you with information that will be helpful to you during your stay on-campus at the School of Mines. It is filled with basic beliefs or attitudes that we use to guide us. We encourage you to read it at the beginning of your stay in the residence halls and to keep it bookmarked on the web for reference throughout the year. You are responsible for information contained in the handbook and are responsible for following all policies and procedures outlined. The hand book is not all-inclusive; policies may change during the course of a year. Updates will be posted to the Residence Life website.

Table of Contents

Our Rights and Responsibilities  

Residents have the Responsibility …

  • To keep our door and hall doors locked, and not to prop them open or allow in strangers or guests without a resident escort, and to straighten up common areas after usage;
  • To observe quiet hours, keep our music, television, other electronic equipment and voice at a reasonable volume in the residence hall, and to remind others that we expect the same of them;
  • To let our roommate know of our wishes and preferences for hours of sleep, study, and visitation, and to work through any differences we may have in a peaceful manner, within the guidelines provided by SD School of Mines;
  • To know and abide by the laws of the State of South Dakota including those pertaining to alcohol beverages and illegal drugs. We have the responsibility to follow the rules and regulations as stated by the SD Board of Regents;
  • To support the educational purposes of SD School of Mines and to sustain a safe and comfortable living community in the hall;
  • To examine our own behavior when confronted by another and work toward resolving conflicts.;
  • We also have the responsibility to confront others in a non-aggressive and non-threatening manner;
  • To notify a staff person of our problem in a timely manner and to cooperate with them as they work with us to solve our problem;
  • To read information provided to us by SD School of Mines and ResLife staff, especially The Residence Life Handbook (online) and the Student Code of Conduct;

Residents have the Right …

  • To a safe, clean, and well-maintained residence hall space;
  • To a quality learning environment conducive to our academic and social pursuits;
  • To privacy and the proportionate use of our room both in terms of space and time, and the right to be free of unwanted guests in our room;
  • To choose our means of recreation and relaxation;
  • To confront another’s behavior that infringes on our rights;
  • To the assistance of our staff members when we need help with a problem;
  • To make adult choices as a members of the South Dakota School of Mines Residence Life community.
  • To participate in wing, hall, and building meetings and share responsibility for adhering to and enforcing community policies and guidelines.


Advertising in the Residence Halls
Posters, signs, advertisements or notices may be posted in public areas of the residence halls ONLY with the approval of the building Assistant Director or the Director of Residence Life. RAs may post signs related to residence hall activities.

Alcohol and Drug Policy
Residence Life adheres to the SDBOR Alcohol and Drug Policy found in the South Dakota BOR Code of Conduct which states the following is prohibited: The unauthorized manufacture, sale, possession, use, or consumption of alcohol, marijuana, or controlled substances by students...The unauthorized possession of any drug paraphernalia.  Please note that being in the presence of alcohol in Palmerton, Connolly, Peterson, and Placer is considered a violation of the SDBOR alcohol policy. Containers with the original purpose of containing or holding alcohol are not permitted in Palmerton, Connolly, Peterson, and Placer.

In Residence Life housing, Rocker Square I/II are designated as an upper-division residence hall where alcohol may be possessed and used in a lawful manner by students who are 21 years of age or older in their living quarters once approved by Residence Life. Students under the age of 21 in Rocker Square I/II are subject to the SDBOR Alcohol and Drug policy and may not possess, use, or consume alcohol in Rocker Square I/II. See Alcohol Procedures for complete details on Rocker Square I/II alcohol procedures. 

Assistance and Duty Information
Each residential area has an RA on duty during evenings and weekends to assist residents. Residents may call or visit the RA on duty as needed.  During business hours, (M-F, 8-4:30pm) residents can visit the Residence Life Office in Surbeck Center for assistance.  Duty signs and duty phone numbers are posted throughout communities. Residents are encouraged to enter RA Duty numbers into their cell phones for easy access to assistance. 

Automobiles and Motorcycles
Residents who wish to park and operate a car or motorcycle on the campus must abide by the regulations established by the university. All vehicles parked on campus must have a SD Mines permit. Complete policies, procedures, and parking information can be found here.

Common Area Damages
Residents of each floor and wing are jointly responsible for proper use of all common or community-use facilities (e.g. washrooms, shower rooms, lounge furniture, corridors, kitchens, etc.). As all residents are jointly responsible for all common and community facilities, damages made to common areas that cannot be attributed to specific individual(s) will be charged back to the wing, the complex, residence hall or specific areas of the hall.

Damage Repairs
Any student identified as being responsible for damage to residence hall or apartment facilities or equipment will be assessed the final cost of repair or replacement.

Fire Safety
Tampering with life safety equipment (smoke detectors, sprinkler heads, fire extinguishers, or heat detectors, etc) is prohibited. Failure to evacuate any building during an alarm situation will result in disciplinary action.  Prohibited conduct or prohibited items that results in false fire alarms or unsafe conditions will lead to disciplinary action under this provision.

Institutional Liability
This institution does not carry insurance covering loss or damage to the students’ personal property and does not assume responsibility for such loss or damage. You are encouraged to determine if you have insurance coverage under the provision of a parent’s household insurance plan or take action to secure appropriate insurance coverage of your personal property through renter’s insurance.

Missing Person Procedure
The University follows SDBOR Policy 3:21 for missing students.  All reports of possible missing students should be reported to the Vice President of Student Development or Campus Safety. Once reported, the University will promptly attempt to locate the student. If unsuccessful, the University will work with local police as necessary. Residential students must list an emergency contact on their housing application.  In cases where the police are notified of a missing student, that emergency contact will be called.

Overnight Guests
Overnight guests are allowed when the residence halls are open. They must be registered through the online Guest Registration Form (available online, under "forms") 24-hours before their arrival and may not stay more than 4 nights within any 30 day period. Residents are responsible for their guests at all times.  Residents may not rent, sublet or allow guests to pay for housing in their residence hall assignment.  It is the expectation of Residence Life that residents will discuss possible guests with roommates to ensure all roommates agree to any overnight guests. Overnight guests who are under 18 must have a registration/parental permission form completed in advance.  The resident hosting the minor guest needs to ensure the form is submitted to Residence Life prior to their guest staying overnight in their room/apartment.

Private Areas
Residents are not allowed in "Staff Only" locations, including housekeeping closets, facility closets, or any other area meant for staff purposes. For your personal safety and to prevent damage to roofs, access to any roof is prohibited.

Quiet Hours/Visitation Policy
All residence halls have 24 hour visitation.  All residence halls and apartments have 24-hour courtesy hours. At all times you are asked to be mindful of your neighbors and your community. Quiet Hours for all residence halls are:

Sunday - Thursday 10:00 pm - 8:00 am
Friday and Saturday 12:00 am - 8:00 am

Extended quiet hours will be initiated and enforced during the week of final examinations.

Room Guidelines 
The use of tacks, nails, screws, duct tape, poster putty, or cellophane tape is prohibited for hanging posters, pictures, etc. on any university surface (walls, ceilings, furniture). Nothing shall be attached to the ceiling in any room. Nothing used to mount pictures, posters, etc. shall penetrate the walls. Blue painters tape is the only allowable way to hang items to walls.  Occupants are responsible for removing any tape residue from the walls when the room is vacated. Failure to adequately clean walls or any wall damage will result in damage fines. The painting of walls is not allowed.  Materials found to be in violation of the Student Code of Conduct may not be hung in windows or on exterior room doors.

Rooms may have no more than one microwave.  Refrigerators are limited to 6.0 cubic feet or smaller mini-refrigerators.  Personal lofting kits are not allowed. Lofting/bunking kits are provided in Palmerton, Connolly, Peterson, and Placer.  If these provided bunking/lofting kits are used, the Residence Life Office recommends students purchase their own guard rail and install if there are concerns about the height of the bed.

Sporting in the Halls
The use of sports equipment must be confined to areas away from campus buildings and parking lots to avoid damage to rooms, damage to hallways, broken windows, and damage to vehicles.

Solicitation and Business Enterprises                
Soliciting or sale of articles or services in the residence halls and apartments is prohibited. Exceptions may only be made by the Director of Residence Life and only to on-campus groups with specific outlined goals. If you encounter outside groups or individuals who are not known to you selling magazines or other goods or services in the residence halls, report it immediately to an RA or AD. Because of the potential interference to the living environment of others, students are not permitted to run businesses, conduct business enterprises, or conduct the business of an independent contractor out of their Residence Hall rooms.   

Student Code of Conduct
All residents must adhere to the South Dakota Board of Regents Code of Conduct found here. All residents are responsible for being familiar with the Code of Conduct.  At SD Mines, the Community Standards Office is responsible for the Code of Conduct and all other SD Mines policies students are responsible for.

Tobacco, Smoke, and Vapor               
In accordance with federal law, tobacco products including but not limited to: tobacco, cigarettes, e-cigarettes, cigars/pipes, vape cartridges, and hookahs may not be possessed by students under the age of 21.  In addition, South Dakota School of Mines & Technology is a tobacco-free and vapor-free campus. No tobacco products or vapor products may be used on campus regardless of age. Hookahs and hookah use are not allowed in residential housing regardless of age.  The complete University tobacco and vapor policy can be found online here

Weapons are regulated by the SD BOR Code of Conduct and the SD Mines Weapons Policy. Students may store guns in their locked cars or with Campus Safety. At no time may guns be brought into residential housing or walked around campus. 



Alcohol and Other Drugs
When alcohol is found in the residence halls or apartments in violation of policy, it will be disposed of immediately.  In cases where the alcohol is in the possession of an individual student, Residence Life staff will supervise the disposal, otherwise staff will dispose of the items.  Any alcohol will be poured down the drain and any empty alcohol containers will be taken to the outside dumpsters.  Being in the presence of alcohol is a violation of the SD BOR alcohol policy. 

Rocker Square I/II: Alcohol use and possession is allowed in apartments approved for alcohol consumption by the Residence Life Office.  For approval, all members of an apartment must meet with their Assistant Director/Assistant Area Coordinator to review the University's alcohol policy and discuss safe drinking behavior.  Once an apartment is approved, students 21 and over may consume and possess alcohol.  Only one single-serving container of alcohol per of-age person is allowed out in plain sight at a time.  Common source alcohol containers are not allowed, these include but are not limited to kegs, pony kegs, punch bowls, and commercial dispensing systems.  Underage consumption and possession is not allowed.

If other drugs are suspected, residence life staff will contact the Rapid City Police Department immediately and will assist the officers in identifying where the controlled substances may be located.  If controlled substances or drug paraphernalia are found in the residence halls or apartments, residence life staff will immediately turn them over to RCPD.

In all cases, any alcohol or other drugs found violating BOR policy in the residence halls or apartments will be documented in an Information Report for review and probable disciplinary action.

Housing with SD Mines requires the submission of a Housing Agreement and a $100 application fee.  Housing is not assigned until the application fee is submitted. This agreement, once submitted by a student, requires the student to live in assigned housing for the duration of the academic year in which the application was submitted.  You are encouraged to review the agreement language in your housing agreement.  Do so online: Housing Agreement.  

Application Fee
All housing applications must be accompanied by a $100 application fee which is kept on account until a student receives access to their housing/moves-in.  Upon move-in/granting of housing access, the full application fee is credited to the student account within 1 month.

Refunds of the housing application fee will only be made as follows: Prior to the assignment email being sent, the $100 application fee is fully refundable upon written request of cancellation of the application/agreement made to the Director of Residence Life. Once a room assignment has been made and emailed, refunds  of the fee will only be issued if cancellation request is made prior to July 1 for fall semester and prior to December 15 for spring semester.  
Residence Life makes all housing assignments. Assignments are gender specific in double-occupancy rooms and gender inclusive in single-occupancy rooms (with student application).  Preferences expressed when applying for a room are given consideration, but are not guaranteed. Room assignments need not be permanent, and sometimes changes are advisable. Application for a change in room must be made with your Assistant Director and must be agreed upon by all students involved. Changes in room assignment may be necessary to accommodate single room requests and consolidation needs. Housing assignments and housing assignment changes are made at the discretion of Residence Life.

Breaks and Move-Out
Individual residents must vacate their housing assignment by noon on the day following completion of their last final examination for a given semester. Additional rental charges apply for late stays approved by Residence Life.

All housing closes for Winter Break. Over Spring Break, Palmerton, Connolly, Peterson, and Placer close. Over these breaks, students may apply to stay for an additional charge, pending approval by Residence Life. RAs will complete room checks for compliance with posted closing procedures over these breaks. Residents are responsible for following closing procedures as posted.

Charges for room and board are to be paid in advance for each semester at the time of registration. All questions regarding these charges are to be presented to the Student Accounts and Cashiering Services Office in Surbeck Center. Non-payment will result in the student no longer being eligible for on-campus housing. Normally, upon notification from Cashiering Services, Residence Life will give a student who has not made payment 24 hours to vacate.

      "Dorm Storm" Procedures
      Officially-recognized student organizations and University departments may request a 'dorm storm' to inform residents of an upcoming event following the following procedures. 1. Submit written request to Director of Residence Life at least 24 hours in advance of proposed 'dorm storm.' 2. Provide the following information in this request: proposed date/time, purpose of 'dorm storm', and names of building escorts (each building must have a resident escort at all times). "Dorm storms' can not occur during quiet hours. Since Residential housing is for resident use only, requests will be approved/denied at the discretion of Residence Life.

      Entry, Search and Seizure
      Entry, search and seizure by civil officers shall be governed by civil law.  Entry by University personnel shall be allowed for the following:

      • Maintenance requested by the occupant(s) is being performed
      • Maintenance is performed upon institutional initiative (preceded by at least twelve hours notice to occupant)
      • There is reason to believe there is imminent danger to the safety, health, or property of occupant(s) or to institutional property
      •  Verification of occupancy
      •  Enforcing safety/health standards

      Residence Life staff may also perform an administrative entry/search permit based upon a belief that a college policy or regulation, or a local, state or federal law is being violated. Only those designated by the University President may authorize administrative entry/search permits. Those authorized to conduct a search are the Director of Residence Life or members of the Residence Life Senior Staff. A search permit will be completed upon a search; it will indicate:Room(s) to be searched; Regulation(s) allegedly being violated; Items(s) being sought (if applicable); Names of those authorized to enter and conduct the search.

      Key and Key Card Replacements
      ID Card / Rocker Card Replacement: $20
      Key Replacements: $25 - $50

      Lockout Procedures and Assistance
      Residents who need assistance or who are locked out of their rooms can contact their RA or the RA on Call for assistance.  During business hours (M-F, 8-4:30pm, residents should visit the Residence Life Office in Surbeck Center).  Cost per lockout is $5, charged to the student account. Lockout charges are waived the first two weeks of Fall Semester.

      Painting of Rooms
      Students may not paint their rooms or any other area of a residence hall/apartment. All rooms and hallways are painted by the University.

      Prohibited Items
      The following items are prohibited in Residence Life-managed housing:

      • Ammunition and weapons
      • Toasters, hot plates, other items with exposed coils (items can be in kitchens)
      • Halogen lights
      • Candles, incense or any item that is burned (candles with wicks cut-out are allowed)
      • Hookahs
      • Fireworks and explosives
      • Flammable liquids & lab chemicals
      • Pets/animals (fish in tanks smaller than 10 gallons are allowed)
      • Air conditioners (other than those installed or approved by Residence Life)
      • Waterbeds
      • Refrigerators over 6.0 cubic feet
      • More than 1 microwave per room/suite
      • Lofting/bunking kits, except those provided by the University

      Room Changes
      Room changes are prohibited without prior approval of the Residence Life Office. If you desire a change, you should first contact your RA or AD to get a Room Change Request form. Moving without prior approval may result in disciplinary action being taken including improper check-out fines.

      Room Condition Report (RCR)
      As you occupy your room, room contents and conditions are inspected and described on a Room Condition Report (RCR). You will be held responsible for all furnishing and equipment, and are expected to exercise care in their use as you would in your own home. It is not permissible to move furnishings or other equipment out of any common areas or lounges or individual rooms, or to move these furnishings from one room to another. Residents are expected to report room or equipment damage or need for repair promptly to their AD. Once you move-in, you will receive an email where you may review your room's condition and submit your comments within 48 hours of moving into your room.  

      Routine Room Inspections
      Room inspections for the purpose of health, safety and maintenance will be held at least once during the semester. The individual RA will inspect rooms on their wing/floor with a minimum of twelve hour notice of the inspection will be given. Residents do not need to be present during the inspection. The inspection will consist of a reasonable check for health, safety and maintenance problems to ensure that the housing regulations are being followed. The inspections are not searches, and no closets, drawers or refrigerators may be opened without the permission of the occupants.

      Any unsafe or unhealthy findings need to be corrected in an agreed upon time between the student and the RA. Failure to comply with directive to correct an unhealthy or unsafe condition in a resident’s room may result in the student entering the conduct process.

      Safety and Security
      For your security, all Residence Halls are locked 24-hours a day. Exterior doors are not to be propped open. Do not allow unknown people into buildings. Your residence room should be locked at any time you are not in the room. Tampering with the doors and locks is not allowed and will result in conduct charges. For more safety and emergency procedure information, visit the SD Mines Emergency Website.

      Single Rooms
      A premium rate will be charged for all single rooms. Guaranteed single rooms are available only in Connolly Hall. Residents who are paying double room rate, but have not had a roommate assigned or whose roommate has left the room for some reason, will not be permitted to reside as singles. Such residents will be allowed two weeks to do one of the following:

      • Find a new roommate of their choice. If this option is selected and no new roommate is found, the student will be billed the single room rate from the date of the departure of the former roommate.
      • Take out a double as a single room contract for the remainder of the year, provided there is no demand for the space and pay the additional cost associated with that agreement.
      • Remain in your room and accept assignment of a roommate by Residence Life. If such a person is not available, the resident may be reassigned to another half-occupied room in any residence hall.

      Students will be charged double as single room rates after a roommate moves out if they do not find another roommate, accept relocation to another room, or refuse an assigned roommate. Double as a Single room rates will be assessed from the date of departure of the former roommate. The higher rate will not be charged if another room or roommate is not available.

      When a single room is available and offered to any student and is declined, that student is removed from the prioritized lists for single rooms. If such a student wishes to be added to the list for future consideration, he/she must submit a written request and be placed at the bottom of the prioritized list for single rooms.  

      Wing/Area/Building Meetings
      All residents are required to attend meetings as designated and scheduled by their RA or building staff. RAs will do their best to schedule meetings at times most suitable to the majority of residents. 

      Windows and Screens
      The unauthorized removal of windows and screens will result in conduct charges. Items may not be thrown from windows; entrance or egress from windows is not allowed. 

      A student withdrawing from school must vacate the residence hall or apartment within 24 hours of his/her withdrawal, unless other arrangements have been made. A student must officially check out of the halls/apartments by removing all personal property from the room/unit, returning the room/unit to move-in condition, and returning keys/having ID cards updated. Refunds will be issued per University guidelines only to students who have officially checked-out.



      The entire Residence Life staff works with and for residents to create an environment conducive to personal growth and academic achievement.

      Assistant Directors
      Assistant Directors (AD) are live-in professional staff who have been selected on the basis of educational background, experience in residence life and an interest in and concern for people. The ADs are responsible for their assigned residence halls through supervision of student staff, administration of the hall and dealing with violations of university policy. Their primary focus, however, is meeting student needs, developing student responsibility and the overall welfare of the hall community. The ADs are available to help you with personal and group problems, and as they reside in the hall, they often handle emergency situations.

      Area Coordinators and Assistant Area Coordinators 
      Each residence hall area has an Assistant Area Coordinator (AAC).  The AAC is a student with at least one year of experience as a Resident Advisor. The AAC provides supervisory support and management of the residential area.  Palmerton/Connolly has a graduate student serving as an Area Coordinator. The AC provides leadership of the PC area and supervises the RAs in Palmerton/Connolly.

      Resident Advisors
      Resident Advisors (RA) are student staff of South Dakota School of Mines who live on each wing/floor with their fellow residents and receive special training to assist residents in a variety of ways. RAs main goal is to create a positive, healthy community for students to live, learn, and grow.

      Residential Peer Mentors 
      Residential Peer Mentors (RPM) are student staff employed to help students succeed academically.  RPMs hold office hours, tutoring sessions, and academically-focused programs to help students succeed at Mines.

      Other Staff
      Residence Life staff also includes many others—the housing coordinator, the facilities coordinator, maintenance personnel, custodial staff, and the Assistant Dean of Students.  The Assistant Dean office is located in Surbeck Center.  


      Facilities and Services

      Bicycles and Bicycle Registration  
      Outside racks and covered shelters are conveniently located for bicycle storage around residential living areas. There are no indoor storage facilities for bicycles. Bicycles are not to be parked or stored in rooms, lounges, hallways, stairwells, bathrooms, laundry rooms or kitchens of the residence halls. Bicycles remaining in the area after completion of spring semester may be considered abandoned and donated. You are highly encouraged to register your bicycle on-line. If you bring a bike to campus--please use a ULock or similar locking device; chain or rope locks are not secure and your bike is more likely to be stolen using these locks. Upon registration, you will get a registration sticker that needs to be affixed to your bicycle. The B-cycle program is also available to all students.  Use this program instead of bringing a bike to campus.

      Passenger elevators are provided in residence halls to allow ADA access to all floors and as a convenience to all residents. Please report any problems with elevators to your Assistant Director or by submitting a fix-it request. If you are trapped in an elevator, an emergency phone is located in the car which dials directly to Campus Safety (394-6100). NEVER attempt to open the elevator door if are in trapped in the car. Never use an elevator when there is a fire or when the fire alarm sounds. Please take precautions when moving items in and out of the elevators. Overloading, excessive movement, including jumping or bouncing while the elevator car is going up or down, may cause the elevator safeties to engage and the car will stop moving. This will result in disciplinary action being taken and/or damage charges being assessed.

      Internet and Mines Email
      Mines Email is the main communication source for the University. It is the expectation of the University that students check their email daily.

      Each residence hall room has one port per person and wireless internet. Usage is subject to SD Mines policies, located here, and the SDBOR Code of Conduct. All devices must be registered to access the on campus network. Gaming and other non-authenticating devices must be registered with ITS. Rocker Square I and II residents receive internet through a 3rd party vendor; routers are installed in each apartment.  Rocker Square I has wireless internet only; Rocker Square II has wired internet only.

      Card operated facilities are provided in Connolly, Palmerton, Peterson, and Placer Halls. Grubby Gold must be used with laundry machines in the residence hall laundry rooms. Rocker Square II laundry machines are operated by a laundry card available for purchase from the Rocker Square II lobby.  Rocker Square I laundry is included in housing costs. 

      All residents are assigned a mailbox with a combination lock. You will have the same mailbox throughout your uninterrupted stay in the residential life housing; all mailboxes are located in Surbeck Center. If you receive a package or a parcel that must be signed for, a notice will be emailed to your Mines email account. You may electronically sign for and pick up your package at the main desk in Surbeck Center.

      Recycling Program
      Containers are available throughout the residence halls for collection of recyclables. You are requested to use these containers for paper, glass, aluminum cans and plastics. Cardboard recycling bins are located behind Surbeck Center - be sure to recycle in the appropriate bin.

      Repairs and Maintenance Issues

      Repair requests and assistance with all maintenance issues should be made online through the FixIt Request system.

        The university does not have facilities to offer for the storage of personal belongings. Hallways, stairwells, lounges and kitchens are not to be used for storage. “Excess” furniture from student rooms must remain in the room.


        Residence Hall Check-In & Move-in Dates
        (updated 6/16/20)

        July 15
        Early Arrival forms available
        Priority Deadline for Check-Ins and Drop & Go options

        July 29 - August 5
        Drop & Go scheduled check-ins

        August 15 - 17
        First year students scheduled check-ins and move-in

        August 15 - 18
        Returning student scheduled check-ins and move-in

        August 18
        Rocker Ready orientation activities

        August 19
        Fall semester classes begin

        2020-2021 IMPORTANT DATES

        • Wed. Jul. 29 - Aug. 5 (8am-4pm)
          Drop & Go Student Scheduled Check-Ins & Move-In
        • Sat. Aug. 15 – 18 (8am-4pm)
          Returning Student Scheduled Check-Ins & Move-In
        • Sat. Aug. 15 – 17 (8am-4pm)
          New Student Scheduled Check-Ins & Move-In
        • Tues. Aug. 18
          New Student Ready Rocker Orientation Activities
        • Wed. Aug. 19
          Fall Semester Classes Begin
        • Wed. Nov. 25 (5pm)
          Housing Closes for Fall Semester Break
        • Fri. Jan. 8 (12pm)
          Housing Opens for Spring Semester
        • Sat. March 6 (12pm)
          Residence Halls Close for Spring Break
        • Sun. March 14 (8am)
          Residence Halls Open after Spring Break
        • Sat. May 8 (12pm)
          Housing Closes for Year