Returning Student Housing Selection: 2017-2018
Upperclass Housing: Rocker Square I & Rocker Square II
Upperclass housing (available to students who graduated from high school before January 2016) is available in Rocker Square I and Rocker Square II apartments for the 2017-2018 academic year. The online housing application for these spaces is available starting March 22, 2017. Housing will be assigned on a first-come, first-serve basis. Groups of students should submit applications within 48-hours of each other to ensure they are assigned together. Learn more about Rocker I and Rocker II by visiting these webpages. Housing pricing for 2017-2018 will be set the South Dakota Board of Regents in April; current rates are available online here. The following spaces are available to upperclass students (as of 3/2/17):
- 18 4-person apartments - Rocker Square II
- 1 2-person apartment - Rocker Square II
- 26 4-person apartments - Rocker Square I
- 4 2-person apartments - Rocker Square I
Gender Inclusive Housing
Gender Inclusive Housing is available in Rocker Square I, Rocker Square II, and Placer Hall. For complete information and details, visit the Gender Inclusive Housing Website.
Current Students Required To Live On Campus
Per South Dakota Board of Regents policy, all students who graduated from high school in 2016 or 2017 are required to live on campus during the 2017-2018 academic year (unless a housing exemption has been applied for and approved). Current residents who graduated from high school in 2016 are guaranteed housing per the housing selection process March 15-20.
Housing Selection Important Dates
- March 1: Lottery Numbers Emailed to Eligible Students (students required to live on campus)
- March 15-20: Housing Application Submission Period for students required to live on campus (submissions online via the
online housing application)
- March 22: Housing Application Open to Upperclass students for Rocker Square I and Rocker Square II
Housing Selection: Important Details for Required Students
- Lottery numbers are issued to all students required to live on campus for the 2017-2018 academic year. These lottery numbers are randomly assigned.
- All current students required to live on campus must submit a housing application between March 15 - 20.
- Students may request to live together on the housing application (as a group). To be assigned as a group, all students must be listed on all applications.
- Housing assignments will be assigned using the random lottery numbers assigned. Assignments are made starting with the lowest lottery numbers. For a group, assignments will be based on the lowest lottery number.
- Returning students do not need to pay the $100 housing deposit - the deposit carries over year to year
Available Housing for Required Students
The following spaces are available as part of the 2017-2018 lottery number housing selection process.
Pricing for 2017-2018 will be set by the Board of Regents in April. Please refer to
current pricing online for reference. Once final pricing is set by the Board of Regents, all students will be notified.
In limited circumstances, the University approves students for special housing accommodations based on medical need and/or disability status. If you have special needs that make it necessary to have a specific type of housing, please contact Residence Life or visit the
Disability Services website for the Special Housing Accommodations Form. The form is due by March 20, 2017.
Housing Exemption Information
Per SD Board of Regents policy, all students who have graduated from high school in the past two years are required to live in campus housing. Current students who are required to live on campus next year may apply for an exemption from this policy by March 20, 2017. In general, housing exemptions are granted only for the following reasons: living in approved Greek Life housing, living with parents or guardians in the Rapid City area, living with a spouse, or living with dependent children. More information about the exemption policy can be found
online. Questions may be directed to the Residence Life Office.